POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : is PHASE working backwards? : Re: is PHASE working backwards? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:05:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is PHASE working backwards?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Feb 2018 06:30:00
Message: <web.5a82cc1f51e282ac5cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
> Am 13.02.2018 um 03:40 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>
> > It seems to be rotating the pattern in the counterclockwise direction.
> > It would handy to know that phase is in radians instead of degrees as well.
>
> That's only true for the radial pattern, and AFAIK only for unit frequency.
>
> In other patterns, phase has entirely different effects; for instance,
> in a gradient pattern it effectively just translates the pattern. No
> radians nor degrees there.

Well, I have a habit of thinking about it like this:
http://mpec.sc.mahidol.ac.th/radok/physmath/MAT1/mor123.jpg

So once it's "unrolled", then rotation in degrees becomes offset in translation.
 pi radians would be 3.14.... scalar.

Not sure if that's how it's handled by POV-Ray internally, but that should be
easy to test and document the magnitude and direction of the shift.