POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : is PHASE working backwards? : Re: is PHASE working backwards? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:00:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is PHASE working backwards?
From: Kenneth
Date: 12 Feb 2018 20:00:01
Message: <web.5a82378751e282aca47873e10@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> But in the case of the radial pattern, "rotating the pigment by y*angle" is
> definitely opposite to  phase 90*clock*y -- they visually rotate in opposite
> directions.

I think my own confusion stems from a lack of clarity in the documentation. The
only clue of what to *visually* expect from 'phase' is the one sentence about
the radial pattern (comparing it to "rotate y*angle)-- which happens to be
wrong, apparently. I think the docs need something else-- perhaps another
'movement' example, or a small explanation of the movement as it relates to a
pattern's index list. Simply describing phase as "causing the map entries to be
shifted so that the map starts and ends at a different place" isn't quite
detailed enough.