POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05 : Re: SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 17:10:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05
From: mr 3d
Date: 2 Jan 2018 15:30:01
Message: <web.5a4beb59627182d033437890@news.povray.org>

> > ... and the reason you're having trouble with this use case is pretty
> > much the same reason why that suggested feature would be darn difficult
> > to implement as well.
>
> Right.
> A first step towards a solution would essentially accomplish an efficient
> meshification of the object - which may be what Sven might want to play with.
>
> Then you'd translate the points along the normal vector to expand/shrink the
> object as a 3D offset-curve.
>
> NOT trivial.

Hi, this is my first post to this group. You did wonderful job ;)

To the point. Yes, I've attempted to do that, called it "thick wall style". It
was part of a project of visualization of uncertainty, namely structure of
cardiac veins (yes, POVRay may be used as a scientific tool ;) or just interval
data.

It is really hard to do that without artifacts.

Ref:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7973435/ DOI:10.23919/MIPRO.2017.7973435