POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Frankenstein : Re: Frankenstein Server Time
23 Apr 2024 05:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frankenstein
From: Eriban
Date: 10 Dec 2017 04:00:01
Message: <web.5a2cf713a707cd91f591106d0@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> I have to think putting that thing back together would be harder than
> taking it apart. "Which piece is next?"

Assembling such a puzzle is definitely more difficult than taking it apart. In
fact, it is practically impossible without help of a computer or using notes
made while disassembling it. The latter is how I typically manage. These notes
also help during disassembly itself. The shape of each puzzle piece slowly
become clear, which may provide further hints on next steps in the disassembly
sequence. Furthermore, not unimportantly, making these notes also make your
progress more visible, which helps to keep up motivation. "Well, I may not have
solved the puzzle today yet, but at least I managed to get a bit further"

> I notice your wood grains ... I suffer with mine, they sparkle as I
> animate them. Can you post or send me your textures?  I'm curious what
> you do different. (I'm more into a maple flavor, than cherry or birch :) )

Attached my textures. There is nothing special about them. They are based on
textures from woods.inc, modified slightly to better resemble the woods of the
actual puzzle, in this case Movingi and Padouk. There's one trick, I use macros
to slightly darken the ends of the pieces by reducing the diffuse setting.

Maybe the sparkling you see is due to your anti-aliasing settings? Jitter should
be set to zero.

Cheers,
Erwin

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'frankenstein-textures.inc.txt' (2 KB)