POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : problem with turbulence in 'fog' : Re: problem with turbulence in 'fog' Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:58:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problem with turbulence in 'fog'
From: omniverse
Date: 3 Dec 2017 23:25:00
Message: <web.5a24cdaa80800e7e9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Unless I'm completely mistaken about what to expect, it seems that turbulence
> does not work at all when used in plain fog, even though it's supposed to.
>
> In POV-Ray's demo scenes (scenes/interior/) there are two fog files, 'foglayr'
> and 'foglyr2'. Run either one of those, and wildly increase the turbulence
> amounts. There is still no turbulence that I can see. Tested in the latest
> 3.8.0-alpha and in 3.7.1-beta9
>
> BTW, warp{turbulence...} doesn't work in fog either; it throws a fatal error.

I should have looked at the aforementioned scene file(s) before posting last
time.

There seems to be better parameter values to use for making the turbulent fog
appear, and even so maybe it isn't doing what you would expect of it because of
the inherent design of fog. Or to put it another way, that it isn't like media.
Not sure if I'm right on that point, but anyway...

fog{
    color rgbt <.7,.7,.7,.25>
    fog_type 2
    fog_alt 5 // increased
    fog_offset 0
    distance 1.5*50 // 50X original
    turbulence <.15, .15, .15>
    //omega 0.35
    //lambda 1.25
    //octaves 5
}

That shows it non-uniformly without ramping up turbulence alone. However...
those omega, lambda and octaves parameters seem to cause trouble so leaving them
out (or as default?) looked best to me.

Now notice I had to increase distance (again) to desaturate the foreground, just
like I did for the mist.pov scene. While also thickening the fog vertically too.

Perhaps this is about the fog setup after all.

Bob