POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cloud Surface : Re: Cloud Surface Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:38:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud Surface
From: And
Date: 24 Nov 2017 08:40:00
Message: <web.5a181ff99a2a53c1a6394f050@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a question: is there any public source code that allows us to create
> cloudy surfaces like that one in the attached photo? I want to do
> something that I never did before: building cloud cities!
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Maybe it can be drawn by media(povray) to some extent. Cycles renderer of
blender should renders better because its volume rendering contains multiple
scattering calculations.
For a thin media like atmosphere, single scattering is in the majority, so
the media of Povray can simulate well. But cloud is heavy media, light
passing through it can scatter many times, most of the luminance from a cloud
is from the multiple scattering.

If you want to draw a cloud in PovRay, maybe scattering media + emission media
can do it, Or ... ?
Or subsurface scattering material, this feature of Povray calculate both single
scattering and multiple scattering in the substance, but scattering density of
the material is limited to constant.