POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial project using POVRay : Re: Commercial project using POVRay Server Time
17 Apr 2024 23:32:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial project using POVRay
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 23 Nov 2017 09:10:00
Message: <web.5a16d69d4e9f106a5cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:

> [...] I have a case which covers both...

Well then I see no problem.
As the terms of use for POV-Ray clearly state that it can be used for commercial
purposes (and I have a lengthening thread dedicated almost solely to how other
people use POV-Ray and what they use it for), then I see no problems whatsoever.
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.59662d4457ffa8e8c437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E/
What specific information you post may determine which specific area of the
forum you decide to post it in - news, binaries, off-topic, etc.

> Basically, I've developed a game for Android and iOS devices and the
> graphics for the game were all rendered using POVRay.
That sounds great!  I'm sure that's exactly the kind of thing that people would
love to see here, especially since (as mentioned) there are game developers who
do that, and internet search results may inspire others unfamiliar with
raytracing to also use POV-Ray for that purpose.

> If people here
> feel that it's permissible, I would like to post a short description of
> the game with a screenshot posted in povray.binaries.images.

Certainly.  Mike Horvath and others have done the same in the past.

> What do you think?  What constitutes acceptable speech in this forum?

To preface my statement (vide infra), I'd say that most of us try to limit
discussion of politics, religion, and any other topics that might tend to "stir
the pot" - simply because there's a whole internet of other places to do that,
and I think most people come here to escape from that and focus on their
interest in raytracing (and SDL programming) in relative peace.

I think it largely comes down to using the sort of common sense that seems to be
rapidly vanishing from the globe.  To me, that you're even worried to the extent
that you feel the need to ask such a question is indicative of the kind of
straightjacket that's tightening on what ought to be free people whose existence
entitles them to natural rights and liberties.
I think it's a [sad] indicator of the indignities that people are expected to
endure in the form of some arbitrary, capricious, and constantly shifting
measure of correctness that you even feel the _need_ to ask
- and at the same time it's a strong indicator that you have the sort of
["common"] courtesy, consideration and respect that you do [voluntarily choose
to] ask.  Therefore I can't see you "spamming" - intentionally or otherwise.

"Here's what I've been busy working on _with POV-Ray_" is exactly what this
forum (in my mind) is about. Whether you're selling the product those images get
integrated into or not is largely irrelevant.