POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About that Gamma thing : Re: About that Gamma thing Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:03:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About that Gamma thing
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Oct 2017 09:25:00
Message: <web.59e35fcbcf9bb4e289df8d30@news.povray.org>
Really interesting--and a lot of info crammed into a short time-frame! (I wish I
could think and 'comprehend' that fast.)

I actually never took notice of the 'dark blending' that occurs between colors,
when blurring a colorful image in Photoshop (using its default gamma of 2.2).
VERY surprising and enlightening.

The 'perceived brightness of colors/grays' demonstration doesn't just apply to
computer monitors. I recently bought a super-bright multi-color LED 'stage
light' for use in the musical group I play in-- one of those lights with lots of
individual LEDs. It has a dimming function (all the way from full-on to
full-off, in 256 steps-- simple digital steps, probably.) The trouble is, most
of the *perceived* brightness change happens at the lower dimmed-down end-- just
like the video explains. Apparently, the designers of this light didn't take
into account the perceived-brightness phenomenon; they should have applied
something like a 2.2 power-law to the brightness steps.