POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Isosurface and f_spiral - bug or feature? : Re: Isosurface and f_spiral - bug or feature? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:04:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and f_spiral - bug or feature?
From: omniverse
Date: 24 Sep 2017 16:25:01
Message: <web.59c81409808cf4029c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Ronkhar" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I'm currently playing with the isosurface and f_spiral function, and I'm
> experiencing 2 curious artifacts.

I looked at the f_spiral in source code but couldn't be sure where it creates
the initial sphere, which apparently is merely the result of the diameter used
for spiral arm.

The outer straight edge might be a result of couple things. One is that as it
tapers off due to overall size given to it there's a clipping (or rather
differencing) effect because of the "outer size" parameter.
And the other might simply be related to max_gradient.

At least that's my guess.

Bald Eagle makes a good point about the filtered transparency, although the
problem here seems to be how this spiral function does indeed create a sphere at
the origin. Same seen in version 3.6.2 and the latest 3.8 alpha.