POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media tester scene : Re: media tester scene Server Time
19 Apr 2024 10:59:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media tester scene
From: omniverse
Date: 11 Sep 2017 21:35:00
Message: <web.59b7399c252f876e9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> Am 11.09.2017 um 14:20 schrieb omniverse:
> > "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >> I made this in version 3.7 (actually 3.7.1 beta 9). I haven't tested it in v3.6,
> >> but I think it should work there as well.
> >
> > No idea why but v3.6 makes the scattering media overly bright. Either the
> > extinction value must be doubled (2.0) or light_source halved (0.5) to get
> > something similar to v3.7.
> > Changing to #version 3.6 within v3.7 doesn't matter, and gamma apparently isn't
> > the reason either.
>
> Does the media brightness in v3.6 change when using different media
> sampling parameters (sampling method, intervals, samples etc.)?

Yes. In a way.
I couldn't get good results unless the "complementary color" was used along with
scattering, because otherwise it always remained transparent. Which I think is
where the self-shadowing would have been if rendered in v3.7.

method 2 intervals 2 and a sufficiently high samples (50) was best I could find
for it. That's for both scattering and absorption (complementary color) while
leaving light_source color <1,1,1> and extinction 1.0.

Not much luck using method 1, while method 3 just kept over-brightening in the
directly lit outer portions. However, using commenting out intervals or raising
its value above 1 was better than if left at 1.