POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:38:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Aug 2017 18:55:01
Message: <web.5998c0f5db2ef770883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Sven wrote:
> Blender is a book with seven seals for me...

Ha! That's a good biblical analogy (to someone like me, who hasn't tried
learning even the basics of Blender yet.) I got a good laugh out of that.

Bald Eagle wrote:
> The triangles in a mesh have a "handedness" - an axial chirality.
> Give a "thumbs up" with your left hand, and if you order your triangle
> vertices in the order that your fingers curl, then the normal points up
> like your thumb.

Well-said; much better than my rather clumsy explanation. And "chiraity" is the
word I was trying to think of (in a different newsgroup post.)

Bald Eagle wrote:
> I did a wee bit more digging, and I found this from the megapov docs:

> "To determine if a point is inside a triangle mesh, POV-Ray shoots a ray
> from the point in some arbitrary direction (the default is <1, 0, 0>)...

I actually didn't know (or remember?) that there was a *default* inside_vector.
I should have re-read the docs; it has been awhile re: this topic.

> My guess is that the vector can be supplied as a 'tweak' to override
> the default value in case there are any weird artefacts showing up...

Yes, that makes sense now.