POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 18:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Mr
Date: 15 Aug 2017 19:15:00
Message: <web.59937fd4db2ef77061ea16670@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 8/15/2017 8:34 AM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> > I am trying to follow up now your advise. I opened Blender 2.78, and
> > imported the STL file (MarsVallesMarineris2). But I never worked with
> > Blender before. Where can I find the option to add an "inside_vector",
> > and specify its direction?
> >
> > Might be, I have to ask you a few more things afterwards. But only 1x,
> > soon i will be able to do it by myself. Hope you don't mind.
>
> I don't know if you can, Sven. But maybe Mr will be able to answer you
> properly.
> What you can do is activate the PovRay rendering addon then render the
> scene. This will allow you to open the generated .pov file and extract
> the mesh2 object. You can then edit it manually to add the inside_vector.
> In blender the shortcut for making the normals consistent is (in edit
> mode or it will open a new scene file) Ctrl + n or to make them face
> inward is Ctrl + Shift + n
>
> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

Hi, Reading this made me add a few of Lanuhum's properties among which the
"hollow" keyword option to objects properties interface, otherwise objects are
solid or as much as pov does it. The inside_vector wasn't supported yet but
maybe we could add it using the object's origin. that way, if people want a
specific inside vector they can just mov object's origin knowing that its
coordinates will be used for inside vector?