POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:45:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Aug 2017 08:10:00
Message: <web.5992e379db2ef770c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
Where can I find the option to add an "inside_vector",
> and specify its direction?

As Stephen pointed out, I don't think that's an option in Blender, because it's
a mesh modeler, not a mathematical primitive modeler like POV-Ray which uses
"real" 3D shapes.

Check out the foloowinf=g to get an idea:
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/5849/how-do-i-create-a-solid-object-cube

A mesh sphere is mathematically a 2D object, because you only need 2 data points
to specify a location on its surface.  It's like a hollow soap bubble with no
soap filling.

Right now, you only have a frozen fragment of the surface of that bubble - so
what you can do is either add more faces to complete/close the shell as shown in
the above link (or create a 'solid' spherical wedge [a cone]),
or,
you [manually] tell POV-Ray which direction is the outward facing side of your
mesh, and which direction is the inside-facing direction (by editing the text
file output by Blender), and then use CSG to have POV-Ray construct a truly 3D
shape.

Another option you might try, just because it's another possibility, is giving
your mesh a y-gradient pigment with white for the high points and black for the
low points, and telling POV-Ray to use that as a heightfield.  Then you can do
CSG on the heightfield.

There are probably more, and more clever, and more complicated methods of
accomplishing the goal, but Keep It Simple, and find a fast and reliable way to
get the task done.