POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:37:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: omniverse
Date: 27 Jul 2017 05:00:01
Message: <web.5979ab4ddb2ef7709c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> On 27-7-2017 8:45, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> > Hi, there is the NASA 3D Resources website, offering various vehicles
> > and planetary landscapes as 3D models, formats OBJ and STL.
> >
> > 1. Is there any OBJ to POV converter?
> >
> > 2. I tried to convert the Martian and Lunar landscapes (STLs) to the
> > POV-Ray format, using STL2POV:
> > command line: "stl2pov -s InputFile.stl >OutputFile.inc".
> > It reads STL files, and creates a POV-Ray mesh and saves that file as
> > INC. But the result is horrible: instead of a block with a planetary
> > surface, I get a block on the one side and a thin surface on the other
> > side (90° angle!), and there are many holes in that landscape. Is there
> > any better way to convert STLs into POV? I need a massive block with the
> > landscape above, as I want to "dig tunnels" into it, too.
>
> For obj to pov, use Poseray: https://sites.google.com/view/poseray
>
> Which is - by far - the best converter.
>
> --
> Thomas

And MeshLab  http://www.meshlab.net/  seems to be okay for the STL to OBJ
conversion.

I don't use mesh files much at all but I checked Tharsis mountains from the NASA
3D models site and could use the resulting mesh (after PoseRay POV/INC export)
in CSG difference okay from what I was able to see.

Bob