POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Tronc Commun 3 : Re: Tronc Commun 3 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 12:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tronc Commun 3
From: Eriban
Date: 25 Jul 2017 15:40:01
Message: <web.59779d88c356a9f1f591106d0@news.povray.org>
Firstly, thanks all for the kind praise!

"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> I like the way they appear mesmerizing. Having seen many of your animations, and
> I'm sure not all, have you thought about using speed changes for the piece
> moves? Mainly the taking away or going together, to accelerate or decelerate
> them.

I have used part acceleration and deceleration before. In fact, it's even
enabled in this animation, although very subtle and hardly noticeable, and a few
move changes especially are still too abrupt. If I would have spent more time on
this animation, that would be the first thing to improve. But there's always a
balance between striving for perfection, or considering it good enough and
moving on to a next project. Maybe I should have spent a bit more time on it...

"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR52unlUZAg
>
> That one looks even more complicated (if that's possible!) You mention there
> that it's "an ingenious 18-piece burr puzzle of level 62.4.21..."  Those must be
> STAR TREK coordinates for playing 3-dimensional chess :-O

Condor's Peeper indeed requires more moves (62 to release the first piece, four
for the next, and 21 for the third... there's that mystery spoilt). Especially
when trying to assemble the puzzle unaided it's a much more difficult puzzle. On
the other hand, a computer can easily solve Condor's Peeper, but will be stuck
trying to solve Tronc Commun 3 because of the (complex) rotational moves that
are required.

Btw, Condor's Peeper is still relatively easy. Its cousin Super Nova
(https://youtu.be/l_Rt7A7E_6Q) is currently the 18-piece burr puzzle that holds
the world record with 166 moves to free the first part.