POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing page[s] : Re: Raytracing page[s] Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing page[s]
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Jul 2017 08:05:01
Message: <web.596f49fdb085b44bc437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Thanks for posting this link. I need as many sources as I can find, to help me
> further understand how a matrix works, and its many uses.

Well, I'm sure there are many different types of matrix - and the graphics /
camera / projection matrix is a special application.

>For example, the real magic of Rune's ILLUSION.INC include file lies in
> his use of a matrix, with amazing results. I'm still trying to understand what
> he did!)

Just by taking a quick look at the code, (I've never used it, and the sample
file output makes no sense to me) I'd have to say that it just takes a "flat"
image and skews it - stretches it - so that it fits / lines up correctly with
the field of view from the camera position - a perspective correction.

This is also something I need to look into, and have only briefly played with it
to correct some perspective distortion of photographed flat surfaces.

I'm sure it could be harnessed to do some basic photogrammetry, if I ever live
that long, have enough round tuits, and triple my caffeine intake.  ;)

Glad you can use the link - it looked like a good one.   Lohmueller of course
has some examples on his page[s] as well, and many examples are available via
the insert menu.