POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective? : Re: QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 03:55:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective?
From: omniverse
Date: 17 Jul 2017 02:00:06
Message: <web.596c51763b5fa6e29c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Sven, I found some possible errors in other things you might not be aware of
yet. I was trying a remake of your scene file, just like I often do with SDL
shared by other people.

The top of the LowerBalloonShape was not differenced out completely, so unless
you intend a parachute hovering above the balloon you will need to increase the
cylinder height from 175.001 to MyRadius+0.001 in the y direction.

The position lights are embedded into the surface of the cylinder ends, and
moving each light_source from the current 10 to maybe 10.25 (x direction) should
make those visible. I was not seeing them before changing that.

I didn't continue with your bump_map and instead used:

 normal {radial frequency 24 bump_size 6} // wraps around y axis

for both the outside and inside textures.
And just a pigment {rgb 1 transmit 0.2}, although I'm curious what your balloon
bump_map image is and if that was too low in contrast or some other reason for
not showing obvious surface features.

Bob