POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : .ini option fails : .ini option fails Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:54:38 EDT (-0400)
  .ini option fails
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Jun 2017 08:00:01
Message: <web.593fd2f0d0280b85c437ac910@news.povray.org>
I was dabbling with PoseRay output files for a satellite, and POV-Ray choked on
the "-A" option.

All was well when I commented that line out.

Considering how there are things that "ought" to work, and sometimes get missed
or inadvertently broken, I was wondering if one of the things that ought to be
considered, is some sort of "validation suite" - a set of standard files that
will run through a long, as-complete-as-possible list of all past known bugs,
and as many features, functions, and combinations of things as possible to
automagically check to see if everything works.

This could have multiple uses, as it could serve as a repository for documenting
'bugs' and a checklist for making sure they are addressed, not forgotten, and
remain fixed, documenting code examples, demonstrating to new users (and more
experienced users unfamiliar with certain features) HOW and to a certain degree
why - certain things in POV-Ray happen the way they do.
(I'm thinking about utf-8, coincident surfaces, nearly coincident surfaces,
sphere sweep and isosurface artifacts, .ini and command line options, etc.)

It would save work in development testing, as whatever was in the file(s) could
just stay there, and then only new things would have to be added.
A large amount of debugging could be accomplished with a simple 'open file' and
'run'.

Just an idea.