POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : recovering from a power outage : Re: recovering from a power outage Server Time
24 Apr 2024 04:00:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: recovering from a power outage
From: peyrol
Date: 3 Jun 2017 19:50:01
Message: <web.59334a7bf571564da705d4cc0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> The procedure is the same as for an intentional abort: Unless you specify the
> `-CC` command-line switch, POV-Ray automatically saves all the Rendering
> Progress in the infamous "state file", allowing it to pick up on it later with
> the `+C` abort-continue command-line switch.
>
> Progress is saved not at specific time intervals, but each time a render block
> is completed.
>
> If the power outage strikes at a time where POV-Ray is just updating the state
> file, there might be a possibility that the state file gets corrupted; I've
> never had a look how robust POV-Ray's abort-continue mechanism would be with
> respect to a truncated state file.

This is very helpful, thank you. If it matters, I use POVRay 3.7 under Linux
Mint with Mate 64-bit. So, if the power goes out, I should return to the
directory I was running from, and execute the same command line with the +C
option added, and it SHOULD pick up from the latest automatic save, yes?

If the latest save got corrupted, would an earlier save still be accessible?