POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media ignores an EVEN number of samples : Re: media ignores an EVEN number of samples Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media ignores an EVEN number of samples
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 May 2017 11:20:00
Message: <web.59205d801d3e9755883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> The reason behind the odd minimum number of samples per interval with
> method 3 is that POV-Ray subdivides the interval into N sub-intervals,
> takes samples at the N+1 boundaries of those sub-intervals (avoiding
> duplicates) and then for each of the N sub-intervals takes another
> sample at the center to determine if it that sub-interval needs to be
> sub-divided even more...
[snip]

Wow, that is a deep and thorough analysis of the situation. Congratulations and
thanks for such quick detective work!

> > From the paragraph about 'ratio':
> > "Note that the total number of intervals must exceed the number of
> > illuminated intervals. If a ray passes in and out of 8 spotlights but
> > you have onlyspecified 5 intervals then an error occurs."
>
> That section is only relevant for the old sampling methods 1 and 2.

I keep wondering if that small section needs some re-wording, to make better
sense. For example, the meaning of 'illuminated intervals' vs. non-illuminated
intervals isn't at all clear (to me, anyway.) And the 2nd sentence might be
re-worded like this (IF I'm correct about it):
"If a CAMERA 'ray' passes in and out of 8 spotlight CONES but you have only
specified 5 intervals [in your single large media container?], then an error
occurs."

By the way...
[Kenneth wrote:}
"...8, between 7 and 9..."

Duh.
Yes indeed, the number 8 IS between 7 and 9!! I made *that* astounding discovery
last night as well!

Sorry. ;-P