POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Rotating Earth with day & night : Re: Rotating Earth with day & night Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:39:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rotating Earth with day & night
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 May 2017 07:40:01
Message: <web.591d876842619e18c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Everything is moving opposite way. Moon orbiting Earth, Earth orbiting Sun, Sun.
> All clockwise.
> ;)
> Or in POV-Ray terms, depending on camera setup, rotate +y instead of -y.

I'm sure that's entirely my doing - too busy with the 9 planets and 27 moons and
the directive hierarchy and the macros and bounding boxes and other bits that
make up the ~1100 lines of code.
I'll look it all over on my next run through and check the signs.
The moon does rotate opposite to the Earth so that the same face is always
pointed toward Earth.   I suppose I ought to take a very close look at that and
figure out exactly _which_ face should be doing that.

> What I'm wondering most of all is why the Sahara Desert in Africa is all lit up.
> The other lights appear to be in their proper places, while north Africa looks
> like a large metropolitan area.

Yeah, that was one of the initial filename / copy-paste errors - I was using the
same image map for both day and night   :|   Then I fixed it and had to black
out the early color indices to get something that looked ok.

Does anyone know if there's an automatic way in POV-Ray to get the number of
entries in the color index of the image map?