POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Rotating Earth with day & night : Re: Rotating Earth with day & night Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:47:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rotating Earth with day & night
From: omniverse
Date: 17 May 2017 18:05:01
Message: <web.591cc76342619e189c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 5/17/2017 12:34 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> > I quickly cobbled this together last night after looking up the slope pattern,
> > and doing a few rudimentary experiments.
> >
> > Aside from a few filename and copy/paste errors, it went pretty smoothly.

I had to download the file and rename to get rid of the dat extension, then open
into WMP because Windows 10 refuses to play it directly. I don't give up easily.

> > Just a proof-of-concept, so nothing amazing with regard to composition,
> > textures, finishes, video quality, etc.
> >
> > (Planetary image maps from:   http://planetpixelemporium.com/planets.html)
> >

> Neat! I like the way that the terminator is not sharp. I hadn't thought
> of using the slope pattern.
> It is hard to be sure with the viewpoint. But does the Earth not rotate
> the other way?

Everything is moving opposite way. Moon orbiting Earth, Earth orbiting Sun, Sun.
All clockwise.
;)
Or in POV-Ray terms, depending on camera setup, rotate +y instead of -y.

What I'm wondering most of all is why the Sahara Desert in Africa is all lit up.
The other lights appear to be in their proper places, while north Africa looks
like a large metropolitan area.

Night and day terminator can be tricky to get right, as I know having tried it
myself.
Doesn't help that there's nothing real to compare to, since the Space Station
photos I've seen are either fully night time or a day/night terminator with no
artificial lighting visible at all in the darkness.

Bob