POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question about Material and documentation : Re: Question about Material and documentation Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:39:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about Material and documentation
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 May 2017 11:45:00
Message: <web.5919c992ce4acd17883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > "If the object already has a texture, then the material texture is layered
> > over it."
> >

> It's always been my understanding that, once an object already has a texture,
> that texture can't be replaced or overlayed later with an additional one. I
> think the docs are in error.

Sorry, I'm completely mistaken. The 'material' container DOES work, and indeed
overlays the previous texture, like *this* example... (but it has to be added to
each object individually)...

--Change my #declared 'material' texture to this instead (so that its blue
translucent color can be seen to overlay the objects' own texture colors)--

#declare MY_MATERIAL =
material{
texture{
pigment{rgbt <.1,.1,1,.5>} // change t to see different effects
finish{emission .2 diffuse .8 phong 1}
}
}

// NO union-- an added 'material' container doesn't work at the end of a union,
// it seems...
sphere{0,1
    texture{
        pigment{rgb <1,.5,.5>}
        finish{emission .2 diffuse .8}
        }
        material{MY_MATERIAL}
        translate 1.5*x
       }

sphere{0,1
    texture{
        pigment{rgb <.5,1,.5>}
        finish{emission .2 diffuse .8}
        }
        material{MY_MATERIAL}
        translate -1.5*x
       }

(BTW, this also works if the 'material' container itself is not used, and just
its texture is #declared. OR, the 2nd texture can be added to the objects
directly, with no previous #declare.) Of course, a 'material' container is made
for combining lots of stuff, like interior etc.

This overlayed-texture effect seems to be different(?) behavior from what I
remember in v3.62 or v3.61; adding a '2nd texture' to an object *completely*
replaced the first texture, IIRC. Not so now, at least using v3.7.1 beta 7.
Unless my eyes are deceiving me!