POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question about Material and documentation : Question about Material and documentation Server Time
23 Apr 2024 13:53:40 EDT (-0400)
  Question about Material and documentation
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 May 2017 08:35:01
Message: <web.5919a04cb18151ffc437ac910@news.povray.org>
The POV-Ray documentation states:

"Internally, the "material" is not attached to the object. The material is just
a container that brings the texture and interior to the object. It is the
texture and interior itself that is attached to the object. Users should still
consider texture and interior as separate items attached to the object.
The material is just a "bucket" to carry them.

If the object already has a texture, then the material texture is layered over
it."

I was looking for some way to take a full scene and replace all the texturing in
it with a black & white gradient, and thought this might be the way.

I did a simple experiment with a simple scene, and no textures were "layered
over".

Am I misreading / misinterpreting this, or just doing something wrong?

Thanks.