POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : using povray with openGL : Re: using povray with openGL Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using povray with openGL
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 Apr 2017 23:25:02
Message: <web.58f6d7bbc5305a91883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> My motivation would be to have them write it out in SDL .... so we can check
> their code and make sure that it's correct   ;)

I would agree. I assume that the original paper's 'scene' or code example was
written specifically for rendering in OpenGL (?)  That's completely different
from POV-Ray and its own SDL ("scene description language.") I've never coded
anything for OpenGL, so I don't know how difficult it would be to translate from
one 'scene description' into another. But it doesn't sound like an overnight
assignment!  ;-)

The abstract of the article says (regarding OpenGl rendering):  "This makes it
possible to utilize graphics hardware, resulting in fast image generation." I
assume that means a computer's GPU. POV-ray doesn't actually make use of GPU
instructions or accelleration (as far as I know!)

If it were my assignment, I would mention these caveats to the course instructor
(gently, of course!)