POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation : Re: Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:38:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Apr 2017 17:15:00
Message: <web.58ebf5193f18d4cf883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Since 3.1g, probably sooner, it's possible to dirrect your image to any
> user specified folder.
> The use of quotes, single or double, is mandatorry whenever you have
> space anywhere in the path. It must be as old as the introduction of
> long file names, way back to 1995.
> Before that, spaces where not allowed at all, and the use of quotes was
> never needed.

I'm thinking more of 'new users' (or older users who don't know or remember the
'special case' of using double-quotes when there are spaces, vs. no
double-quotes when there are no spaces.) *Years* ago, when I first began adding
my own folder path(s) to the povray.ini file, I didn't know this rule (or where
to look for it in the docs), and could never figure out why my folder paths
worked sometimes but not at other times. I naturally assumed the answer would be
in the 'Output_File_Name' sections; but the only examples there are written
without double quotes-- simply because those examples don't happen to have any
spaces. ;-)

If I am any example of a 'typical' Windows user, I would assume that others like
me would not know to look in 'command line' references in the docs to find this
special rule-- one reason being that the Windows GUI version of POV-Ray doesn't
really *require* command-line input (i.e., the GUI menus-- and resolution .ini
file-- take care of most if not all of POV-Ray's functions, with the
command-line being a secondary consideration and rarely used.) Hence, no reason
to look *there* for the info. This is my main argument for adding the
special-rule info somewhere in the Output_File_Name section(s)... as that seems
a logical place for it to be. Or at least putting a link there to the proper
section(s) of the docs.