POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : overlapping independent media containers objects : Re: overlapping independent media containers objects Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:37:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: overlapping independent media containers objects
From: Kenneth
Date: 31 Mar 2017 14:50:00
Message: <web.58dea3d5c6a36aac883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"rodv92" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> However at the sides there is probably an overlap of the two containers (do not
> forget, different containers, different interiors and different media)
> I get a nasty artefact of darkening/undarkening with a sometwhat cylindrcal
> overprint.

I haven't worked with media in awhile, but I think the problem is because of
your *different* media etc. in each transparent container-- and possibly not
enough 'samples' in any of your media.

When media objects overlap, POV-Ray does not 'combine' the different medias (if
I remember correctly.) Instead, when a 'camera ray' strikes the closest media
CONTAINER in the overlappiong area (i.e., the container surface closest to the
camera), the media *there* is the only one that is rendered-- along with its own
particular samples, intervals, etc. The overlapping-container artefacts come
about when the camera rays cross the *borders* of the different containers, in
the 2-D image plane. The camera then sees a different media (with different
samples, intervals, etc.) That difference creates a sort of visible line between
the containers.

My own solution to the problem has been to give *all* the overlapping media
containers the same (high) number of samples, intervals, etc. (but not different
media type or density(?) I don't remember if *that* is required.) This usually
minimizes the artefacts, at least.

I don't remember if using a CSG 'merge' of all the containers helps with this,
or what possible problems a merge might cause.