POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : feature request: disable file overwrite : Re: feature request: disable file overwrite Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request: disable file overwrite
From: omniverse
Date: 25 Jan 2017 00:50:01
Message: <web.58883b63c806bbdf9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>

> > As so often, the devil is in the details though: For instance, how would
> > you expect POV-Ray to react when rendering an animation, and /some/
> > frames already exist while others do not?
> I just thought it would be a nice safeguard against accidentally overwriting
> images that took a long time to render, or accidentally clicking "RUN" (admit it
> - we've all done it" when you hadn't manually renamed the last test render prior
> to rendering the new iteration) when you've been working on something for a long
> time, it's late, you're tired and distracted....

You did say command-line, and first thing I think of to do what you ask in a
roundabout way would be to add to the command-line:

-orender2

and next 3, 4, 5, etc. before every scene run.

Sorry to be glib about it. ;)
You're idea makes sense to me. Render overwrites can be a bad thing, like you
say.

Couldn't this be done by using file write capability from within SDL? Change the
povray.ini to count file output incrementally on each render like the output
option I said above?
Of course that means putting that into every scene so it runs.