POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Background and area light : Background and area light Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:05:41 EDT (-0400)
  Background and area light
From: PerroNoob
Date: 29 Dec 2016 17:45:00
Message: <web.58659163c29d0dd2f8c3c8dd0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to render a long rectangle (with some extra stuff) using an area
light. The problem is that I always see a dark background, even if I extend the
area light further along the z direction. If I change the perspective, I also
see that extending the area light region does not have much effect, there is
always a darker side on the rectangle, which I don't know why. I've also tried
increasing the height (y direction) of the area light with a better result,
however the shadows are smaller in that case.

What I want is to make most of the floor and background as white as possible but
without making the rectangle to look too bright (that's why I use a gray
background).

The code is here (I'm using the rc3metal files; btw, is there a way to make the
Bronze rectangles even more realistic? do I need a turbulence or something like
that?) :

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#include "metals.inc"
#include "rad_def.inc"
#include "rc3metal.inc"
// RC3Metal_Set_highlight (0.3)
#declare BLURRED_REFLECTION = 1;

global_settings
{ assumed_gamma 1
  max_trace_level 30
    radiosity
    { count 200
      error_bound 0.1
      normal on //for spun brass
      pretrace_end 0.005
      recursion_limit 6
      brightness 0.5
    }
}

background { color rgb <0.6, 0.6, 0.6> }

camera{
    location <100, 50, -30>
    look_at <15, -40, 110>
    up        1 * y
    right     2 * x
}

#for (z_disp, 22, 260, 44)
    box {
        <0, 0, z_disp>, <40, 10, z_disp + 22>
        RC3Metal_Texture (RC3M_C_CHROME, 0.3, 0.3)
        // normal {granite 0.1
  // scale <0.1, 20, 1>
  // no_bump_scale}
    }
#end

#for (z_disp, 0, 260, 44)
    box {
        <0, 0, z_disp>, <40, 10, z_disp + 22>
        RC3Metal_Blur_t
        ( RC3Metal_Texture (RC3M_C_ZINC, 0.5, 0.7),
        0.25, 0.001, 1
        )
    }
#end

#for (z_disp, 18, 260, 44)
    box {
        <0, 10, z_disp>, <40, 12, z_disp + 30>
        RC3Metal_Texture (RC3M_C_BRONZE_NEW, 0.2, 0.2)
        // normal {granite 0.1
  // scale <0.1, 20, 1>
  // no_bump_scale}
    }
#end

plane {
    // We can use 'y' instead '<0, 1, 0>'
    <0, 1, 0>, 0
    texture {
        // pigment { checker color White color Black }
        pigment{ color White }
        finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.8}
        // normal {granite 0.5 scale 0.001}
    }