POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface Rocks, using a single iso; could use a bit of help : Re: Isosurface Rocks, using a single iso; could use a bit of help Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface Rocks, using a single iso; could use a bit of help
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Dec 2016 12:45:00
Message: <web.584aed57916cc6b4c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"[GDS|Entropy]" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I think I get it, the spotted or leopard makes sense for a method to produce
> unique instances of another thing, using them as a sort of mask, if I have your
> meaning.

Right, if you're going to do it the pigment pattern way.

> Before the rabbit hole is too deeply traversed, will it be possible to have
> variance in the function governing each rock? I want to maintain the rocks
> having many functions.

Stop thinking rocks, and think pigment, since that's the function that you're
passing on to the isosurface.  I'm not that great with the many pigment
functions - maybe there's something with turbulence, octaves, warp, etc.

> Of course I will need to run some sort of collision detection to prevent
> overlaps.

I think that the spotted type patterns have that built in, as does the method of
creating separate visible rocks as part of one isosurface.   In other words - no
you don't, since it's already done.

> Is it possible to use an array of blobs in a single blob object [elements not
> necessarily touching] as the container shape for the iso?

I dunno.   I thought that only spheres and boxes could be used - but give it a
try and see what happens.
Though I think all that will do is "clip" out areas of the isosurface and not
give you the real _surface_, which is the whole point.

Also, See Mike Horvath's current "disappearing isosurface" thread - I think
evaluate would be an excellent feature to incorporate into all this.

Also, check out:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.578a5fb98b356715e7df57c0@news.povray.org%3E/
and Tor's links to his scene which use his space-division method.
mod and select can be pretty cool when combined together like he does!