POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : old chess scene modified again : Re: old chess scene modified again Server Time
24 Apr 2024 04:35:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: old chess scene modified again
From: omniverse
Date: 5 Dec 2016 11:15:00
Message: <web.584592659aaa166e9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> Am 05.12.2016 um 13:33 schrieb omniverse:
>
> > Sounds like I was under the wrong impression, thinking already dark areas would
> > get darker still.
> >
> > So this means the current way radiosity works is only to brighten upward from a
> > certain threshold (the actual pigment color, or lack of any) and never go lower?
>
> The lower threshold is actually the direct brightness from conventional
> light sources. In full shadow, that would be zero.
>
> But normally there's barely a crevice where radiosity-based illumination
> doesn't find a way in.

Okay. Wrapping my head around this, I believe. I had been thinking in terms of a
dual effect, namely illumination and anti-illumination.

And as Stephen suggested, negative light color doesn't seem to adversely affect
radiosity, as in uncontrollable way, so maybe there are possibilities with that.

This had me trying negative emission and I was surprised by the result, although
perhaps I shouldn't be based on what you've been saying.

A test of 2 spheres, rgb 1 and rgb 0 both with emission -1, caused only a
darkened area for the white (now black) sphere on a white plane.
Black sphere with emission -1 made no change to the white plane below it.

I take from this that color > 0 is required for emission to do anything. This in
turn makes me think there should be some way to get a black or dark object to
enhance the darkness around it.