POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Gamma and light sources : Re: Gamma and light sources Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:38:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma and light sources
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 17 Nov 2016 23:25:00
Message: <web.582e814ceb7d407582fed3640@news.povray.org>
> I'm still sort of confused. For a brand new scene designed from scratch
> in 3.7 and not needing to migrate from 3.6, should I aim to use "srgb"
> or "rgb" in the light color definition?

If you get your colors from a 3rd party color picker, use 'srgb' (whether for a
light source or a pigment).  If you get your colors from Lightsys IV, use 'rgb'.

Aside from those, I don't think it matters.  You know what you want the color to
look like.

For light sources, especially with inverse square attenuation, you'll often want
to do math on the color, so be sure heed CLipka's warning about doing math with
'srgb'.  I tend to assign the base color to a variable, and then do whatever
math I need on that variable.  (Once a color is assigned to a variable, it
doesn't matter which keyword was used to define it.)