POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.misc : P-R chess set ASC file mesh : Re: P-R chess set ASC file mesh Server Time
23 Apr 2024 17:38:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: P-R chess set ASC file mesh
From: omniverse
Date: 10 Nov 2016 06:50:00
Message: <web.58245eaca0b2f7c09c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> The chess piece King ASC file.

Making progress.
Imported to MeshLab, did the Filters|Remeshing, Simplification and
Reconstruction>Clustering Decimation
apply+close
Filters|Normals, Curvature and Orientation>Compute normals for point sets
apply+close
Filters|Remeshing, Simplification and Reconstruction>Surface Reconstruction:Ball
Pivoting (I think so anyhow, wanted to try a different method from "lumpy"
Poisson).

Exported as PLY and double-clicked the file so it opened into MS Builder, which
was installed recently; first time I've tried it. It needed a "repair" (I know
it had mostly inverted normals, black in MeshLab) so did that, and saved as OBJ
file.

Opened that PLY into Poseray and exported as POV-Ray mesh file. Here's the end
result after rendering it. Lost some of the crown cross in the process, and
gained some parts where they shouldn't exist. Nonetheless a good approximation
of the original POV-Ray shapes. Maybe eventually I can refine it.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'makemesh_chessking_pov_scene.png' (26 KB)

Preview of image 'makemesh_chessking_pov_scene.png'
makemesh_chessking_pov_scene.png