POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering pigments and textures : Re: Reverse engineering pigments and textures Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse engineering pigments and textures
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Jul 2016 12:05:00
Message: <web.578a5aba492309545e7df57c0@news.povray.org>

> I was going to say this. I often 'pick' colours from photographs and
> such but only as a basis for further and very substantial tweaking. An
> example of one such exercise is the following fairly simple roof tile
> texture based on colours picked from 'real' tiles photographs:

Indeed.  We've discussed this before, with regards to IIRC, the Victorian room's
hardwood floor colors.

I'm thinking that there might be a way to automatically create a color map from
an image file using SDL.   Scan all the color values using eval pigment :)  and
then do a bit of math to see how the color values cluster.

Might need some iterative interaction.   Maybe plot a graph in 3d RGB space.

I might be (probably) reinventing someone's wheel here.

Maybe someone will get to this before I do.    So many experiments.  Need more
round tuits, coffee, and processor cores.