POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Error(s) compiling on Ubuntu 14.04 : boost thread library solution fails : Re: Error(s) compiling on Ubuntu 14.04 : boost thread library solution fa= Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:12:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error(s) compiling on Ubuntu 14.04 : boost thread library solution fa=
From: green
Date: 16 Apr 2016 07:20:00
Message: <web.57121f16411ded5f9a4230a50@news.povray.org>
"Fred DM" <dae### [at] bluewinch> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to install PovRay on Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> I think I have followed the guideline given in this newsgroups. But it still
> doesn't work.
>
> I've checked that all dependencies are updated.
> libboost-dev
> zlib1g-dev
> libpng12-dev
> libjpeg8-dev
> libtiff5-dev
> libopenexr-dev
>
> I followed the instructions given in github
> % cd unix/
> % ./prebuild.sh
> % cd ../
> % ./configure COMPILED_BY="your name <email@address>"
> % make
>
> but the 'make' doesn't work
>

> sudo ./configure COMPILED_BY="FredDM<dae### [at] bluewinch>"
>
> leads to this error with the boost thread library
>
> configure: error: in `/home/fred/Programmation/PovRay/povray-3.7-stable':
> configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
>
> It is a known error, but the solution provided
>
> sudo ./configure COMPILED_BY="FredDM<>" LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread"
>
> leads to a new error
>
> Programs
> --------
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> configure: error: in `/home/fred/Programmation/PovRay/povray-3.7-stable':
>
> I have checked gcc
>
> fred@Flat-Ubu:~/Programmation/PovRay/povray-3.7-stable$ gcc --version
> gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1) 4.8.4
>
> If anyone can give me a clue, I would be very glad.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Fred

i know nothing about linux but i do this compilation chore regularly, the last
time yesterday or the day before.  i use xubuntu which does not have some stuff
that is normal or expected, apparently.  here is a list i made the last time, as
i was tired of not having it down in one place, of the stuff listed as needed,
the versions i installed using synaptic, and some stuff not listed that was
needed;

libboost-dev            libboost1.55-dev
libboost-date-time-dev  libboost-date-time1.55-dev
libboost-thread-dev     libboost-thread1.55-dev
zlib1g-dev              zlib1g-dev
libpng12-dev            libpng12-dev
libjpeg8-dev            libjpeg8-dev
libtiff5-dev            libtiff5-dev
libopenexr-dev          libopenexr-dev

g++-4.8                 g++ version 4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6
autoconf                autoconf version 2.69-6
automake                (already had Automake 1.14)