POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Looking for rendering Omnidirectional Stereo images for VR headset : Re: Looking for rendering Omnidirectional Stereo images for VR headset Server Time
18 Apr 2024 09:01:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for rendering Omnidirectional Stereo images for VR headset
From: Clodo
Date: 9 Mar 2016 14:35:01
Message: <web.56e079ea6ae27ba34e8811590@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > If anyone have or know interesting scene for testing with VR headset,
> > please report a link here. Thanks.
>
>    I would gladly offer any of the scene sources you can find at my site
> (ignorancia.org), but only a few may be suited for this, as most lack
> any surroundings apart from the camera view. And the remaining ones are
> maybe not that interesting, usually too slow to render, and mostly for
> old versions of POV-Ray or Megapov.
>
>    But if you wait a bit, maybe this weekend I can send you the sources
> for the cave I posted on p.b.images... that would be interesting, I think.
>
> --
> jaime

Thanks! I can wait of course.
Yes, this is my big problem: almost all scene i found with sources lack any
surroundings apart from the camera view.
But for example can be interesting placing a camera more near the car in
"Fantasy Cars of 2011" (VR headset have a large FOV).
I'm still looking your great gallery.

If you don't have yet a VR headset, a Google Cardboard with an Android phone
will be economic and nice, though it's a simplified experience.

---------------
If anyone have a VR headset like Oculus Rift and want to try:

1- Download POV-Ray 3.7.1-alpha build:
https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-alpha.8509766%2Bav119
(BACKUP FIRST!)
2- Use this camera in your scene:
(sorry, actually doesn't support vector3 direction)

#declare ipd = 0.065; // Interpupillary distance
#declare cameraLocationX = 0;
#declare cameraLocationY = 0;
#declare cameraLocationZ = 0;
camera {
      user_defined
      location {
        function { cameraLocationX + cos(select(x,(x+0.5)*2,(x*2)) * 2 * pi -
pi)*ipd/2*select(x,-1,1) }
        function { cameraLocationY }
        function { cameraLocationZ + sin(select(x,(x+0.5)*2,(x*2)) * 2 * pi -
pi)*ipd/2*select(x,-1,1) }
      }
      direction {
        function { sin(select(x,(x+0.5)*2,(x*2)) * 2 * pi - pi) * cos(pi / 2 -
(1-(y+0.5))*pi) }
        function { sin(pi / 2 - (1-(y+0.5))*pi) }
        function { cos(select(x,(x+0.5)*2,(x*2)) * 2 * pi - pi) * cos(pi / 2 -
(1-(y+0.5))*pi) }
      }
    }
3- Render. Remember to render to very-high resolution: the correct rendering
resolution depends on headset resolution and FOV. If unsure, at least 4096x2048.
4- With Oculus Rift DK2, you can use Virtual Desktop, MaxVR or any other
photo/video player to view the result.