POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Inquiring about features : Inquiring about features Server Time
24 Apr 2024 02:29:45 EDT (-0400)
  Inquiring about features
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Mar 2016 18:55:00
Message: <web.56dcc2dad24009435e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Curious, and planting the seeds for some ideas.

Can an object be defined in a scene as part of let's say for demonstration
purposes, a difference, be rendered, but NOT take part in CSG?
I'm not sure how useful it would be, although I can imagine having an object
somewhere that fades out in an animation and doesn't leave a hole.
maybe a tag like no_csg

A split, or multi-image feature.
Let's say I want to render a LARGE image, and want it split up in a 3x3 grid
into 9 images of equal size.
Related to this, I was thinking that the partial render feature would be nice if
there were a way to select a region, and have it get saved to a secondary file
aside from the main render.

a "colorblind" Trace() that can ignore all colors except the specified one.
or ignore a specified one, and only returns regions of objects NOT that color.
I guess it would be sorta like a combo between eval_pigment and trace().
I can envision using a transparent background png as a pigment, and then tracing
around it - with this new trace().   One could find outlines, make rough mesh
models, etc.   Potentially useful in CSG once objects were created that
originated from transparent background images.