POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : RoundEdge 1.3.1: elimination of torus artifact : RoundEdge 1.3.1: elimination of torus artifact Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  RoundEdge 1.3.1: elimination of torus artifact
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 25 Jan 2016 13:20:00
Message: <web.56a666251a5eb08b566b73360@news.povray.org>
See
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/message/%3C5682b65f%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

This artifact rears its ugly head when merging a torus and a cylinder into a
very fat discus-like object.  See p.b.i for an illustration.

I thought surely I had discovered this problem while I was fiddling with the
meniscus code for CoffeeMug in 2013.  But checking the dates on my test files,
it turns out I'd discovered it in 2008, a mere three days after starting work on
RoundEdge.  (I'm not too surprised at this recall failure; meat-based brains are
known to be unreliable.)

I almost immediately realized why my torus-cylinder merges showed this artifact,
which is why I never reported this as a bug.  But bug or not, it is annoying, so
it is fixed in RoundEdge 1.3.1.

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=RoundEdge&contributorTag=Cousin%20Ricky

Why I didn't take steps to correct the problem in RoundEdge 1.0 is a mystery.
Another meat brain failure, perhaps?