POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Licensing : Re: Licensing Server Time
24 Apr 2024 04:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Dec 2015 09:45:00
Message: <web.567ff8047688c8d9ac6323910@news.povray.org>
> What about fonts? If we include a font with our project does it have to
> be LGPL as well? Do you know of any nice LGPL sans serif fonts?

If your project requires a proprietary font, my suggestion would be to list it
as a prerequisite, and include in your documentation directions on how to obtain
it.  The Object Collection uploader doesn't allow font files anyway.

Arial, Trebuchet, and Verdana (Microsoft) though proprietary, are available for
free.  Microsoft no longer has them available for download, but they let the cat
out of the bag and they can't stuff it back in.  I would definitely NOT bundle
these with an Object Collection project (even if the uploader allowed it), but
anyone smart enough to write SDL should be able to find them on-line, in the
extremely unlikely event that all three weren't already on their PC when they
bought it.

My GNU/Linux installation comes with a few nice font families, Liberation and
Droid (both Ascender Corp.), and DejaVu.  The DejaVu and Liberation fonts come
with a full set of condensed, bold, and italic sans serif variations.  Droid
only has regular and bold.  All three have liberal licenses; there have been
issues with Liberation, but as long as you're not uploading it for distribution,
the issues are irrelevant.  My recommendation for these is the same as for the
proprietary fonts: list them as prerequisites and give directions on how to
obtain them.