POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Western Wheel calculations : Western Wheel calculations Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:56:00 EDT (-0400)
  Western Wheel calculations
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Jul 2015 21:40:00
Message: <web.55b9804e97eff9955e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
So, I would normally just puzzle this out myself, but it's 98 degrees here
(Fahrenheit, not rotationally  ;)  ) and my gray matter is cooked.

Anyway, concerning the "Western Wheel" problem:
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/anim13e.htm

I have a gear that turns 7 times in 37 frames.
(it drives a gear that turns once per 7 revolutions, I'm doing a quick "36"
frames, and cyclic animation is on - so it's 37)
It has 5 spokes, and 55 gear teeth.

I'm assuming I take 360 degrees, then divide by 55 teeth, and multiply by 7
revolutions to get the total apparent movement of a tooth.  Then divide by 37
frames to find the "apparent movement" of a tooth between frames in degrees.

The "Western Wheel limit" is half of the span between teeth per frame, so that
would be (360/55)/2.

If the first calculation is correct, then if it's less than the limit, I
shouldn't get the undesired visual effect.  Correct?

Could someone check my logic / math?

Thanks  :)