POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : My recent updates : Re: My recent updates Server Time
18 Apr 2024 01:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My recent updates
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 7 Nov 2014 10:40:00
Message: <web.545ce73deb5f82295e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:

> I am on a fixed income, so I have to guard my savings carefully.  I've already
> blown too much on what, in retrospect, I should have seen as cash sinkholes.

Like that time I got married...

I have some savings, and at the moment a fixed income - zero.
Be practical.  See what you can get without needing to buy anything.
Ask people to look at or borrow something that they own.
Ask someone in the trade to show you things and let you photograph them.
I don't know what sort of specific information you need to gather, but I would
think that there have to be an endless number of photographs on the internet of
different types of metal.

If you need images of super-clean metal, maybe look up plating,
dissolution/dissolving, chemistry, elemental metal, refining, etching, etc.
Those keywords might net you some pristine surfaces.

> Another question I thought of: Is there a significant difference in appearance
> between pure gold and the 14K gold used in jewelry?

There sure is.  Hit some of the jewelry supply companies' websites like Rio
Grande, Stuller, and Gesswein.

AFAIK, silver just came way back down.  I should have spent every cent I had on
silver back when it was $8 an oz.  I can only imagine that it's set to go back
up.  We'll see what bitcoin does....