POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple windows 7 users : Install for multiple windows 7 users Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:05:02 EDT (-0400)
  Install for multiple windows 7 users
From: Nick
Date: 19 Aug 2014 07:35:01
Message: <web.53f335ddfe60634859099baa0@news.povray.org>
Hello

I asked this question about for years ago but gave up as things were clearly
designed not to work the way I'd expect.  I've come back now for another go and
I nothing seems to have improved.

I've downloaded  povwin-3.7-agpl3-setup.exe and looked as directed at
'non-standard installations'   It says I can use /INSTALL or /QINSTALL.  These
make not a blind bit of difference you still get led through the prompts for
directories. and so on as if the didn't exists.  /S though undocumented will get
you a silent install.

However I've tried to install it I get the same old, same old, dialogues as ever
when I log in as another user - POVRAY did not find the expected registry
entries....and a telling off for allegedly not using /INSTALL when I did, then
'cannot find colours.inc'

Oh and not that I'm the slightest bit surprised, no shortcuts in the all users
start menu.

After four years I'd really expected someone to have made a competent job of
this. A proper installer should default to installing for all users without any
further action, a miracle thousands of software vendors perform on a daily
basis.  I fail to understand why POVRAY can't achieve this.

 We will continue to have to explain to our students that these errors are not
of our making and are a poor advertisment for your product.