POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Passing ini file on command line : Re: Passing ini file on command line Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:39:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passing ini file on command line
From: Eldritch Cheese
Date: 6 Nov 2013 08:15:01
Message: <web.527a4070c5400d4af7447680@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 05/11/13 23:30, Eldritch Cheese wrote:
> > I am using Ubuntu 12.04.3.  I can compile PoV-Ray 3.7.0.RC7 successfully, and
> > can render scenes.  However, I have been having trouble with using INI
> > configuration files.
> >
> > If I use the command "povray scene.pov", the scene compiles.  However, if I use
> > the command "povray scene.ini", where scene.ini contains the single line
> > "Input_File_Name=scene.pov", I receive the following error message.
> >
> > Problem with option setting
> > povray astroid.ini
> > Failed to parse command-line option
>
> Strange. I have just tried this in my set-up and it works just fine
> (note: I am using Suse 12.3).
> Have you got a '~/.povray/3.7/povray.ini'? Or, failing this a
> '/usr/local/etc/povray/3.7/povray.ini'? Though without one of these
> 'povray scene.pov' will fail.
> One possibility occurs to me: Is there an extra blank space in your file
> name?
>
> John
> --
> Protect the Earth
> It was not given to you by your parents
> You hold it in trust for your children

Yup, the '~/.povray/3.7/povray.ini' does exist, and there were no spaces in the
file name.

I ended up finding the problem.  The scene.ini file had a typo in it, which
caused a parameter to be unrecognized.  This caused the parsing to fail, though
why it chose that particular error message is beyond me.