POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Speeding render times : Re: Speeding render times Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding render times
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Aug 2013 13:40:01
Message: <web.521e356f9871a9cfdd2ebc560@news.povray.org>
> light_group is designed for that purpose.

I was unaware of this directive.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
I'm not quite sure that would address the problem of an unnecessarily long
render time for 1000 light sources embedded in the center of light-tight black
spheres though.  I'll try it out, but I'm expecting wait a LONG time to get a
jet black render.

> Even a small change can have an effect on other parts of the scene due to
> shadows, reflections, refractions and radiosity.

Indeed this is true, but I think for "casual" rendering, animations where the
camera moves around a lot, or the light source isn't "in" (define this how you
wish) the scene, then it would save a lot of rendering time while developing
scenes and rendering animations that don't need to be IRTC-level quality.

Like I said, these would be options the user could choose to select, not default
behaviour of the render engine.