POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Another reason to hate Windows 7 : Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:33:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
From: MichaelJF
Date: 29 Jan 2013 14:25:00
Message: <web.5108216f11feb23bd2f8d970@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Chris Cason <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:
> > I've added a new 'Prevent sleep while rendering' option to avoid this
> > issue. It defaults to on, which is probably what most folks would want.
>
> Which got me thinking...
>
> How hard would it be for winpov to detect that it was terminated while
> a rendering was in progress, save that info somewhere, and then the next
> time it's started for it to ask the user if they want to continue the
> render?
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I'm certainly no expert at this. But POV leaves a state file when interrupted
otherwise an image. So it should not be impossible. But with a multicore machine
the continue option works only if all threads have left no "whole" in the
picture. That means if a block is not finished but an other which is later in
the sequence the blocks are worked through from another thread is (may be the
first contains some glass the second not, so the later thread is ready before
the first) than "continue" continues behind the later thread overlooking the
"whole" from the first unfinished thread. So if you have to interrupt a
rendering since you need your machine for other purposes, you have to be lucky
to can use the +c. IMO this issue is more important then the occasional updates
or the sleeps, which can be avoided easily with the update options or the energy
options Stephen pointed out.

Best regards,
Michael