POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : palette RGB values instead of index : Re: palette RGB values instead of index Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: palette RGB values instead of index
From: Woody
Date: 4 Sep 2012 08:55:01
Message: <web.5045f95b4debb7e9d9fdb3af0@news.povray.org>
> Well, that's what I'd recommend, at any rate.
>
> If you told us what you're actually trying to achieve, rather than what
> tool you happen to have in mind for that purpose, we might also be able
> to come up with a different approach to suit your needs.
>
> The approach you suggests seems rather straightforward at first glance,
> but (A) I fail to see where it's actually of use, and (B) at second
> glance it actually turns out to be non-trivial not only to implement,
> but even more so to even specify in a consistent manner. For starters,
> you suggest to specify the color values in units from 0 to 255, instead
> of the 0.0 to 1.0 range used everywhere else throughout POV-Ray; but the
> trouble only barely begins there: Are these colors raw image values?
> Linear values? sRGB values? For consistency the colors should be
> interpreted as "cooked" to fit POV-Ray's color model (subject to
> assumed_gamma and all), but I suspect this would make the whole thing
> pretty pointless.

I can see your point.

The whole cause of this post had to do with a problem I was having. I had an
image with quite a few colors that were otherwise indistinguishable to the human
eye. Because of that, finding the index of the exact color I wanted to make
transparent would have been difficult.

But you are right, there are quite a few problems with that, and would be of
marginal benefit.

-Jeff