POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Use uniform texture : Re: Use uniform texture Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:31:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use uniform texture
From: sic2
Date: 1 Jun 2012 14:30:00
Message: <web.4fc909c43ed44e33ee48ba0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have one question. Assume I have a union of several objects (each with its own
> > texture). Is it possible to disable these textures without using #if statements
> > and apply another texture X for the union (like pigment{Red}) ?
> >
> > Thank you very much!
> >

> Any texture applied to a given object always override any texture
> applied to the union.
>
> You can comment out some textures.
> You can use some #if statement to conditionaly disable any texture.
> You can use the quick_color feature and use a lower quality setting.
> For that, you add quick_color Some_Pigment at the end of the texture
> block or after the pigment statement, and reduce the quality to a value
> of 5 or less.
> You can set the quality by using +qn on the command line like +q5.
>

> Alain

I have tried disabling all the possible textures conditionally and then having a
object representing the union of all the other objects that make the scene.

#declare allObjects = union {

}

object {
  allObjects
  pigment {Red}
  finish {ambient 1 diffuse 0}
 }

However, this yields to such a picture:
http://s17.postimage.org/j30sg07a7/1st_pass.png

As you can see some parts are black, while the white part is this way probably
because it's infinity. I really cannot understand what textures I have not
disabled that yield to such a picture. In fact, when I look at the those
specific objects there's nothing wrong to me.

I am using MegaPov (I got used to it since I've a Mac) and I am afraid I cannot
set the quality parameter up.

Also, I don't get why a pigment/texture applied to all the union does not
overwrite all the other pigments/textures.