POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : IK Skeleton : Re: IK Skeleton Server Time
25 Apr 2024 06:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IK Skeleton
From: robotguy
Date: 29 Apr 2012 18:25:00
Message: <web.4f9dbeced487aa7a2ca022ce0@news.povray.org>
Tail Kinker <the### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 12-04-21 12:07 AM, robotguy wrote:
> > Tail Kinker<the### [at] gmailcom>  wrote:
> >> I also want some
> >> ready-made macros for walking, running, jumping, etc., with
> >> interpolation between movement styles.  (That's getting into hurty math,
> >> though.)
> >
> > The BipedRobot.pov file in bones.zip (yes it is forward kinematics) already has
> > walking and running and interpolation and all the hurty math already done for
> > you.
> >

> But if it's forward, it won't work at all with ik_skeleton.

I think our ideas can work together.  The key part of your IK software is the
calculation of the ShoulderAngle, ElbowAngle, HipAngle and KneeAngle, using the
Cosine Rule.  You're basically taking a minimum number of data points and using
them to calculate all the intermediate angles.  This is very useful for
generating a single character Pose.

I did something similar in my Canfield joint simulation; the IK for the Canfield
joint is attached to the Zero bone.  It is possible to attach other inverse
kinematics pose-generation shortcuts to the Zero bone of other skeletons.  I can
see how to use your implementation of the Cosine rule to simplify some character
pose generation.