POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Diamonds: The Great Mogul or the Stone of Orlov : Re: Diamonds: The Great Mogul or the Stone of Orlov Server Time
25 Apr 2024 00:05:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diamonds: The Great Mogul or the Stone of Orlov
From: TawnyOwl
Date: 27 Mar 2012 16:00:00
Message: <web.4f721b7a975c44cf40f8e80@news.povray.org>
> For the texture, you should start with a totaly transparent pigment: rgbt 1
>
> Next, the finish
> finish{reflection{0,1 fresnel}conserve_energy ambient 0 diffuse 0.01}
> You can add some specular or phong highlights. If speculat, use a low
> roughness (<0.001), for phong, use a large (>500) phong_size value.
>
> Then, the all important interior:
> The diamond is described as white with a bluish light green tint.
>
> interior{ior 2.5 distersion 1.02 fade_color<0.9, 0.1, 0.93>
> fade_distance 1 fade_power 1}
> Typical diamond ion and a fair amount of dispersion.
> The colour comes from the material, not the surface.
>
> You should then render with some light_source. Adding an high dynamic
> range environment can realy help.
>

> Alain

Many, many thanks for your suggestions. I will try them in the next days and -
of course - I will post my final settings here. At the moment I'm playing around
with the diamond texture macro Bruno Cabasson gave here some years ago, but the
stone looks not like a diamond, more like glass. May be it is because this stone
is an very old one which is not cut after the rules of Marcel Tolkowsky. The
shape (or cut) of the stones seems to be very important too. In this case I
tried to model as close as possible, but the scratch from the Wikipedia is not
exhaustive since the side-views seems to be taken not from angles differencing
about 180 degrees. So I had to guess a little bit...

And - as a response to Thomas - of course, the final scene will be my next entry
to the TC-RTC.

Thanks again and best regards,
Michael