POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11 : Re: povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:39:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11
From: eeeeaaii
Date: 1 Mar 2012 13:55:01
Message: <web.4f4fc588c3cac333fda0e8490@news.povray.org>
"lainal" <dla### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Gents,
>
> For those interested in, I managed to compile povray 3.6 on Mac OS 10.8 since I
> didn't found any working version on the Web (PPC distribution is hitting Rosetta
> issues). Hereafter the way I went in 7 steps:
> 0 - Download the source code for Linux / Generic and unarchive
> 1 - hack all 3 "configure.ac" files to add "foreign" in the parameters of the
> macro "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE"  (some GNU distribution mandatory files are missing)
> 2 - create the configure script with autoreconf -i
> 3 - edit the top "configure" and add at the 1st active line the following:
>       ac_cv_prog_egrep=/usr/bin/egrep
> 4 - Configure with:
>       CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" \
>       ./configure COMPILED_BY="<your mail address>" --with-x
> 5 - make
> 6 - make install (possibly preceded by su)
>
> I also compiled with X disabled without noticing performance differences, so
> better keep it :-)
>
> Example of run:
> $ povray ~/Downloads/povray-3.6.1/scenes/advanced/landscape.pov
> Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.6.1 (g++ 4.2.1 @
>  i686-apple-darwin10.8.0)
> This is an unofficial version compiled by:
>  dla### [at] yahoocom
>  The POV-Ray Team(tm) is not responsible for supporting this version.
> [...]
> Peak memory used:           6299545 bytes
> Total Scene Processing Times
>   Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1 seconds)
>   Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>   Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes 15 seconds (15 seconds)
>   Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes 16 seconds (16 seconds)
>
> Enjoy!
>
> - Dominique

I'm having a pretty weird problem.  I am able to compile and run the program,
but it performs weirdly: spheres that are clearly there are never intersected
with the rays from the light sources, etc.  I put in some time putting trace
statements in the code and I have actually narrowed it down to a compiler bug in
the llvm compiler.  Works fine on my mac with the older version of XCode but the
LLVM compiler is translating the C code into something wrong, such that memory
gets trashed and variables get scrambled, etc.  Wondering if anyone else had
this problem.